top of page
St Etheldreda’s, Ely Place, is one of the oldest and most beautiful chapels in London, built towards the end of the 13th century by John de Kirkby, Bishop of Ely. In 1874, Father W. Lockhart bought the chapel at auction on behalf of the Rosminian Fathers of the Institute of Charity, a religious congregation founded in Italy in 1828 by Antonio Rosmini. The Rosminians restored the building, adding new stained glass to the east and nave windows some of which was made by Christopher Whall, then a lay brother with the order. Twice bombed during the Second World War, the roof and much of the east end was destroyed. During the 1950s, a new east window was commissioned from Edward Joseph (Eddy) Nuttgens. Later, his pupil and friend Charles Blakeman created stained glass for the nave, west window and crypt.
bottom of page